I try not to think about the things that make me sad for fear that I'll fall into a deep depression. But, once in a while, these feelings consume me and I start to feel as if I'm suffocating.
I hate where I live. I miss San Diego so much. I miss my old apartment, my friends, my blm support network, the ease of getting around... I feel so guilty for having these feelings. DH is working hard, long hours and I know there is a lot of pressure on him, as he is the sole breadwinner now. And, I live in a gorgeous apartment that is costing us a ton of money. But, I really hate it here. I really struggle with the idea of having to make our life here.
*If you know where I live, please don't mention the location in the comments. Thanks.
Nora is a horrible sleeper. Again, I feel terrible for saying that out loud. She is perfect and beautiful and healthy. And, I'm so fortunate to have a living baby here in my arms. But, 7.5 months of sleep deprivation is waring on me. On a good night, she wakes up at 1 and 4 am. But, most nights, she wakes every 1-2 hours. And, when she does sleep, I can't sleep because I'm a shitty sleeper myself. I spend her short nap times pumping because she's refused to nurse during the day since she was 3 months old. My blm friend Karen says they didn't use sleep deprivation as a medieval torture technique for nothing. She ain't lyin.
I don't have any help. And, I don't trust a "stranger" to watch her. My in laws live about an hour away, are in their seventies, and work part-time. They drive me nuts anyway. They spend each visit speculating as to why Nora is so fussy all the time. "She's hungry, she's tired... teething... her stomach hurts... maybe because you're breastfeeding...how long are you going to do that, again... don't you know such and such mom... don't put her on reflux meds... watch her... she shouldn't do that..."
I'm still angry at my mother. She's been trying to reach out to me and every time I hear from her, I carry a pit around in my stomach for week. I have no interest in a reconciliation which leaves me feeling guilty. But, she chose some dude she met at yoga over her children. She left me when I was grieving and beginning a difficult pregnancy. She allowed this dude (whom my siblings and I refer to as Satan) to email us about them being naked together and smoking pot on Christmas Day (my first Christmas without Ella).Nice, eh? I swear I don't make this stuff up. She allowed her fake lawyer friend to speak litigiously about us and send frivolous law suit threats our way. Again... all while I was grieving and constantly enduring the worry of losing another baby. She wasn't there when I was hospitalized, when Nora was hospitalized... She should be here sharing this little girl with me. She should be here to help out when I'm tired or need a break like most mothers do for their children.
And, most of all... I miss Ella. I still have moments where I forget that I have another baby. A dead baby. I can't shake the feelings I had the night I lost her. The days following her death...
Friday, January 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Im so sorry bree.... first about the sleep deprivation...I KNOW. I left a comment on your fb page but I didnt really go into detail. Only after D turned 2 did he actually do what I consider sleep through the night. Though that entails at least 2 wakes where he wants his bottle (thats another issue I wont go into). So for 2 yrs I had little to no sleep. I sympathize with you and assure you it does get better. It just takes time. Im also very sorry to hear about what your mother did.... and I too would call that fool satan. Im missing Ella along with you mama.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Bree :( As far as your in laws, mine do the same exact thing. If Olivia is cranky at all, its the same things...its her reflux, her tummy hurts, she this shes that...its so annoying especially when its just how MIL holds her and bounces and shakes her like a freaking snow globe.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you miss SD. I would too. Any prospects of moving, or are you stuck there?
Miss both our Ellas....2 years is too long.
Hugs,
Angela
I'm so sorry Bree. Wish I could come over and watch Nora so that you could get some sleep, or go get a massage or something. The sleep deprivation is so hard. It doesn't feel like it now, but it won't last forever. But for now, it's excruciating, I know.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you miss San Diego too. It's hard to be happy when you don't like where you are living.
Oh goodness, I am so sorry that you are going through so much alone. Not sleeping is so hard!! I hope she starts sleeping better soon. Your MIL sounds like mine, uugghhh so annoying.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you had such problems with your mom, I am really sorry.
I wish we lived closer so that I could watch Nora for you while you go out for a little bit on your own. We all need that from time to time ((HUGS)).
We both know there are no words I can say to make this better, but I just wanted to send you a hug, friend.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could make you feel better. Living in a place where you don't want to be must be so hard. Sounds like you really need some good sleep. I hope Nora's schedule changes soon so you can get some! I wish my mom was someone that I could count on and trust to watch Carly when she makes her arrival, but I honestly do not trust her and she is not stable enough in my mind. I always think it is hard when we don't have our moms to help as I see so many others with moms that are wonderful. I always want that.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and sending lots of love. I wish I could come and visit you!! Maybe one of these days when I get out to visit my sister with Carly :)
So sorry that you are going through all of that. I wish that I had words to help you. What I can say is that my little guy was much like Nora waking up at night and it got much better at around 9 months. Now he sleeps for 10-12 hour stretches, but until then I was very sleep deprived.
ReplyDeleteMaybe there is a support group nearby that you can attend or a mom group you can go to. I found that the mom group that I joined really helped me out.
I just past the 2 year anniversary of my loss and I can't believe it. I can relate to how you feel definitely. I love him and can't imagine my life without him, but I still wish that she were here.
I rack my brain trying to think of how I can help you. If I didn't have kids of my own I'd be there in a heartbeat!
ReplyDeleteAbout your mom - it sucks that it sucks and you can't do anything about it. This is the time in your life that you need a mom more than any other time in your life. I hope someday you get to smack her or something. Not that that would make it better.
And I was just thinking about March coming up now that the holidays are over. As I've said before, now that we're 2 years on, it's hard to imagine all that we've gone thru - but at the same time, you can remember the moments and the feelings almost as if they are happening to you right now. I know it will be a difficult spring - so many memories.
I'm sending you sleep dust. Sleep Nora. Sleep. Your momma can enjoy you so much more if you just sleep!
Bree I wish I lived closer and could give you a break. I'm so sorry your mom has been so disappointing and hurtful. We moved when Gavin was a baby and I didn't know anyone where we lived. And my mil lived close by but she works and drove me nuts too. It was a really rough first year and it slowly got a lot better. Now I actually like where I live and have some really great friends. It took a couple of years to actually like it. I think it will get better though, it just takes time. Hugs
ReplyDeleteSleep deprivation is SO rough. Neither of my boys slept through the night until just before they hit a year old. (I had to do the cry it out method and it was awful listening to them but it worked... it's not for everyone, I know, but it does work if you ever want to talk about it. Absolutely no pressure at all!). No matter which way Nora's sleep issues resolve, it will get better is all I can assure you. The first year is especially hard. xo
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find a little peace with your other issues whether it is to reach out or let go. I cannot imagine the added weight it all causes on on a daily basis.
Keep on venting! We are here to help as much as we can. Sometimes just voicing your concerns can do wonders...
And love always to Ella.
xo
This is so tough, and I know exactly where you're coming from. Angus was (and still is to some degree) a terrible sleeper. He didn't "sleep through" (I hate that term) until 11 months, and even now he still wakes a few times a night, just not for a feed anymore. It is SO tough. Days were almost worse as I could never get longer than half an hour out of him and I'd hear all these mums talking about all they could get done while their baby napped for 2+ hours a few times a day and I'd feel like a huge failure. He's still breastfed now at almost 14 months and it really does all get easier. I know it can be hard to hear that though when it all seems so hard NOW. The crawling then the walking a month later really does help to tire him out and sleep much better. And we're both feeling slightly normal around here again. Sleep is a wonderful thing!
ReplyDeleteKeep your chin up and know you're doing an incredible job. Grieving and raising a live baby is harder than most people would ever dare think.
xo
I'm so sorry you don't have family support, that is one of the biggest blessings if you have it, thank you for reminding me of that, when lot of times I just think they get on my nerves! I'm so sorry. I understand moving and not liking it, even though it's allowing me to not work (I do part time for fun). I'm sorry your mom is being so selfish, and that Nora isn't sleeping. I kid you not, long before I ever got pregnant I started praying for a baby that slept well b/c frankly I'm a monster with no sleep. I wish I could help, you know I'd run over and hold Nora in a heartbeat if I didn't live a zillion miles away!!
ReplyDeleteHugs, you have been through so much the past two years I imagine it is so hard not to feel like you are sinking sometimes. I wish I was closer :)
ReplyDelete((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry your mom is not there to help you...especially because I'm pretty sure my mom is the only reason I'm still sane right now. Don't feel guilty for any of your feelings...you have a right to them. I can't believe Nora is a such a bad sleeper...I wonder why that is? I won't speculate like your in-laws seem to do but I sure hope she starts sleeping better ASAP! It's hard not liking where you live. When I first went off to college I was living in the dorms and was about 4 hours from home and I hated it...I felt trapped...it was torture...and I don't even know why I hated it so much. I ended up tranferring to a college only 45 minutes from where I grew up and moved into an apartment instead. I wish you had the luxury of moving, too cuz it really helped me. I'm here for you if you ever need to talk/vent/whatever. And I'm always missing Ella with you. I think of her pretty much everytime I see a butterfly <3
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you are feeling so down. Wish we could get together and trade nights with our non-sleepers! Griffin does the same thing for the most part...awake every couple hours. It's hard not to get frustrated and down when you don't sleep (I was there last night). I wonder if the sleep issues Nora and Griffin have are related to their reflux? *hug*
ReplyDeleteOh Bree, I'm sorry you're going through this. Like another person said, there's nothing I can say but I do send you a hug. I remember when we were going through various problems - spitting up, trouble sleeping at night, teething, etc. - and somebody told me, "All I can say is 'this too shall pass.'" You know what, they were right. We got through those stages and now they seem like they were so short and so long ago. I know that doesn't really help with what you're currently dealing with, but just know that one day you'll look back on this time and it will be in the past. It doesn't last forever.
ReplyDeleteHugs, my friend!
Hi, I just found your blog through a mutual friend's. Just wanted to drop in and say hi! I look forward to following you. So sorry to hear about your Ella.
ReplyDelete~Jess
http://bringingyoumorethanasong.blogspot.com/
Oh geeze Bree, who wouldnt feel as if they were sinking with all that weight on her shoulders! I am so sorry that you're having a rough time! I am praying! I wish I could offer more! (((BIGHUGS)))
ReplyDeleteSweetest Bree,
ReplyDeleteoh how your words are so similar to those that I once spoke. My husband and I left everything we knew and moved to Bruxelles, Belgium, as a career move for him. Prior to that I had owned my own business for 10+ years and was very successful. In mere moments my life changed. I didn't speak the language, couldn't navigate the grocery store, had no friends, was scared to death to drive, couldn't work etc...and the list goes on and on. I lost my identity and it was super difficult. On the outside it looked as if I had it all. Beautiful, expensive apartment in the city, I didn't have to work, I had a personal trainer every day, didn't have to work, and yet I felt so isolated and alone....I sense you are feeling much of the same.
Ultimately, I came to the realization that HOME would be where I made it. That epiphany took me over a year to realize. It's just extremely difficult and I relate. However, I can tell you it does get better. If you meet one person who you can call a friend and try to indulge in the good aspects it helps...not easy, but it helps.
As for your mother, that is a tough call. In hearing your words I feel the conflict of your heart. However, if she is causing you hurt and pain then perhaps now is not the time to enter into reconciliation and that is okay. Allow yourself time to process things more deeply. Maybe talking with a therapist would help you to release some of these feelings...make you feel better. It's not about your Mother, its ultimatley about "you". Do this for yourself :)
My heart aches for you with regards to Ella. There just are no words, wisdom or advice. A mother has to feel what she feels for her child. I suppose we will always grieve our children and I take solace in knowing we are normal.
Sending you love, hugs and prayers. You are entitled to your feelings Bree and don't ever feel differently. I'm here if you need me.
xxx
Bree, I wish I could jump on a plane and give you a big hug. Hubby is heading to san Diego for a month in a month and I would love to go with him but I can't take the time off. Good news is that he will have to go back later and we plan on visiting him so maybe we can get together.
ReplyDeleteI wish your mother realized what she is putting you through. It is so hard not having family right there. Mine are an hour away so I can only imagine how you are feeling. Know I am thinking of you, Ella and Nora! Lots of love and hugs!
I'm sorry you are going through so much- I can relate on some fronts. Hope things are looking brighter very soon. Big hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteI don't really have any words, but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that it's so tough! I am with Deni, I would come with her to love on Nora and give you a break in a heartbeat! I bet our Ella's are dancing RIGHT now!
ReplyDeletethinking of you, and giving you a blog award. I am sorry you are going through these things. Know that our community is here to listen and help when we can! Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteIt's harder when you don't have the help of anyone, especially family. And even tougher when you don't get the sleep that you need. And even worse yet, you are still grieving! Oy. Praying it gets better hun!
ReplyDeleteBree, I'm so sorry. I feel you... sleep is something I've always struggled with myself. My parents always joked about walking me around the house begging me to sleep when I was a baby. I thought it was kind of funny, b/c as an adult, I just don't sleep well. NOW... oh man, I feel for my parents. Hannah wakes up a lot too. She just doesn't sleep well most nights. I consider it a successful night of sleep when she wakes up 3 times, 4 times. I don't like myself when I feel so impatient and angry in the night. It's so hard. But we're only human. Of course, we struggle with impatience and irritation. Having a baby die adds this whole other layer of guilt and high expectations on ourselves when we do have a living child to take care of. Most people could never dream of what we endure on a daily basis, like Hope's Mama said.
ReplyDeleteJust remember, you're not alone.
love,
ebe
Bree,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry your having such a hard time. Don't feel guilty about how you feel. I really can't believe that about your mom. that sucks. You poor dear. Much love.