We just got back from two lovely days at the beach. I enjoyed my time very much and was able to move forward from yesterday's incidents. Honestly, I felt much better after blogging about it. But, I did feel bad for being so abrupt. I didn't have internet access at the beach, so I've had two days to think about what I wrote yesterday.
After reading everyone's comments, I know I don't need to explain why I am so angry. But, I want to.
My world did not shatter when I last Ella. My world had already shattered almost one year to the day I lost Ella when I lost my dad. I was close with my dad. He and I talked on the phone everyday. I could call him and share good news with him and he would share in my happiness. I could complain about something that happened at work and he'd listen me vent. He was so proud of me. He always introduced me as his baby daughter and would tell people that I was a teacher. He would tell them that I was married to a good guy and would brag about the fact that my husband was working on his PhD. My dad was the kind of guy that would light up a room. He was always telling stories while people eagerly listened. He loved life. He wasn't ready to die. I guess I always intuitively knew that I would lose my dad at an early age. He didn't take very good care of himself- he was always a smoker and was all about butter on everything! But, knowing this still didn't make his death any easier. He was diagnosed with cancer in February and six weeks later, he died. I watched my dad go from being happy and self-sufficient to being totally dependent, hunched over in his chair, and hooked up to an oxygen machine. He needed round the clock care. I helped out a lot during this time and was so glad that I could be around to do that. It was so hard seeing my dad so sick, but I wouldn't have been anywhere else. But, the images of him struggling to breathe, the flashbacks of watching him die, still haunt me several times a day.
After my dad died, I still talked to him each day. I really felt his presence around me. I felt so confident that my dad was in heaven and that gave me a lot of comfort. I prayed a lot, to God, but also to my dad. A couple of months before I got pregnant, I prayed and asked for a baby. When I found out I was pregnant, I had such a strong feeling that my dad played a role in bringing us our baby. In the midst of all of the darkness, I was given something to feel hopeful about. So, losing our baby was just a huge slap in the face (to put it lightly). Why would God give me a baby, something to be hopeful for, and then take it away? All faith I had in my dad and in God has been taken away.
I don't usually play the "why" or the "what if" game. I just don't. What happened, happened. But, there were a few days that I was convinced that my dad took my baby from me because he was angry that I let him die. You see, my mom and I made the decision to let my dad go rather than putting him on a ventilator. We just wanted my dad to have peace. He was struggling so much. 99% of the time, I know we made the right decision. But, that 1% of doubt still kills me. Another time, I thought that maybe I had to lose Ella because my dad was lonely and needed someone to be with him.
My grief was only compounded when I lost my Ella. It is so unfair. I have friends who don't seem to appreciate what they have and complain to me about motherhood (yes, even after I lost Ella). I know there are people in this world that use drugs while they are pregnant and that there are people who verbally and physically abuse their children. Why is it that these types of people seem to have several children when there are so many women in the world hurting because they are unable to have children or they have lost a child? I just don't get it.
This week, Ella's due date week only exacerbates everything. I won't be bringing home my baby home from the hospital on Friday. I've already met my beautiful baby. I've already given her all the hugs and kisses I will ever give her. I won't get to watch her grow up. That's it, end of story. All of the memories I've ever had with my Ella have been made. There will be no new stories to tell.
I am so hurt and so traumatized.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Its so hard to be accepting of God's plan, which is exactly where I am in my grieving process and how a lowly human tries to understand the infinite wisdom of God. Just like you, I see so many children taken for granted and all we wanted was our little girls.
ReplyDeleteYour dad sounds like a great guy. I'm sure that your dad is grateful to both you and your mom that you didn't allow his pain to linger. I'm sure he is in heaven and is taking good care of his granddaughter.
I'm with Jen. Your dad's in a much better place now, with people who love him, and now your baby butterfly, too.
ReplyDeleteEvery day we spend on this earth is a day not spent in heaven.
I'll be praying for you this week, Bree. For strength, and peace. The due date, that's going to be hard, I'd imagine (I won't know myself until October). And I'll be praying for those around you to be sensitive and mindful of your emotions.
I didn't know your father recently died too; you have had so much loss lately. I'm so sorry that you have lost your dad and your daughter in such a short time frame. It is traumatizing and incredibly sad.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
I am so sorry about your dad. He sounds like such a wonderful father, and I can only imagine how hard it must have been to watch him suffer and then have to make that tough decision for him. I can understand all of those thoughts you had about if your dad took Ella - I had some crazy fleeting thoughts that God took Ada to punish me for something but I KNOW that's not true. Just know that those kind of thoughts are normal but don't give them any credit.
ReplyDeleteMy faith was shaken too. I just said this on Jen's blog, but I used to pray for Ada's health every day - that's it, just her health. And then she died. Why should I ever bother praying ever again? I'm working through this and I would say my faith is stronger now than when Ada died, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
I know Friday will be a hard day for you, although Ada's due date actually wasn't as hard for me as I had anticipated. She was due the day after election day, and from the time I found that out I had hoped that she would be born on the day that Obama was elected. (Sorry if I'm getting too political here!) When I watched the results come in on Nov. 4 and his picture flashed on the screen, I burst into tears. I was so happy about the election, but I had really wanted Ada to be born on that historic day. I cried for her for a long time that night. After that, her due date (Nov 5) wasn't so bad. I actually spent most of the day reading one of the Twilight books because it was a happy way for me to take my mind off of everything. (We both took the day off.)
Okay, this has been a really long "comment"! Oh, and we have one more thing in common - my husband has his Ph.D. too. (comp sci) It took FOREVER but he finally graduated in December 2007. I went off the pill the day after he successfully defended his dissertation.
You have every right to be angry, I would be too, and I am angry for you. Losing your father, and then Ella, is beyond unfair. It's unrealistic to expect anyone to bounce back from such devestation.
ReplyDeleteYour dad is in a better place, and I know that he is taking great care of Ella.
Thank you for sharing this Bre. It made me cry my heart out. There are all kind of terrible thoughts to have about decisions we've made. We will never know if they are right or wrong. I too prayed to my baby Maya (among my other loved ones in heaven) to bring me another baby and I lost that one too. So I know what it's like to feel tricked. And when you've given someone "credit" for bringing you goodness, then how could you not "credit" them for doing the bad. For me, it has made it all make even less sense. But I guess as humans, we are always trying to make "sense" of everything and maybe that is the point. There is not sense, it is not logical, and it most certainly isn't fair. And we will never never figure it out.
ReplyDeleteRegardless, I hope that your dad is really enjoying Ella. I really really hope that our favorite people are hanging out together in the "after" life. If they are, we certainly know that our babies are in good hands, even if our hands would be better.
Kathy
I know making that decision to not put your dad on life support was a heart breaking decision. I work in a hospital and see people that have to make that hard decision and my heart breaks for them. I'm so sorry you had to make that decision. I know your dad knows you made the best decision you could. You didn't want to see him suffering any more and he knows you made the best decision for him that you could.
ReplyDeleteI just went through my son's EDD on June 13th it felt like torture thinking that I should be bringing home my baby not wondering about the what should have beens.
Nobody should have to go through this. I'm so sorry that you have to.
Bree, I will be thinking of you on your due date. My due date was just two weeks before yours. It was hard, but not as hard as I'd imagined. I'm not sure what I imagined really. Do what feels right and what brings you comfort and peace.
ReplyDelete