Part 2 is so hard to write...
Although Nora was born on May 22nd, we did not bring her home until May 31st. We enjoyed two blissful days with our baby in the post partum unit. I am so grateful that I had those two days to feel like a normal new mom with Nora. As I nestled Nora into her car seat on departure day, she started to scream. I decided to feed her a bit before heading home. Nora had been eating for about 10 minutes when I looked down and noticed she had turned purple. I ran out into the hall to get the nurse and show her Nora. The nurse's first response was that I couldn't be out in the hallway with the baby unless she was in the bassinet. Whatever, lady. She came in and Nora's color started to return. She decided to take Nora to the nursery for observation. I tagged along. For some reason, I really do not recall I headed back to my room for a minute. I was sitting on the bed when a doctor from the NICU entered and told me that my sweet baby was going to be admitted to their unit. As you can imagine, I totally freaked out. My mind automatically went "there." I thought she was going to die. The next thing I thought was that I would be leaving the hospital without a baby, again...
DH and I walked over to the NICU. Nora was all hooked up and in a bed already. Several people were crowded around her and monitoring her. As they were watching her, they noticed she was having some desats. I don't remember much of this day. It's kind of a blur. All I remember is we left the hospital with an empty car seat in hand and checked into a hotel across the street from the hospital so that we could be closer to Nora.
DH and I set up a schedule. The NICU was open from 8-6 during the day and 8-6 at night. I spent the days there and DH stayed with her at night. Some of the nurses thought we were crazy. But, we had waited so long for her arrival, we just wanted to be near our baby. It helped me to sleep better at night too to know that someone was with Nora. I'd pump milk all day and all night, every 3 hours so that Nora could eat. A couple days before we got to bring her home, I started nursing again. Thanks to the encouragement of a wonderful nurse. Prior to that, I was set on solely pumping as I feared she might turn purple on me again.
Nora was on a nasal cannula for two days. She started out in a crib, but was later moved to an isolette because she also had jaundice. She was given the full work up. They did an ultrasound on her brain, a chest xray, and ran tests for infection. Everything came back clear. She just needed to grow a bit and learn the whole suck, swallow, breathe thing. Once I realized that she was going to live, I was okay (well as okay as one can be in that situation). In order to come home, Nora had to have 5 days without any desats.
Nine days after her birth, on Memorial Day, my dream came true. I placed Nora back into her car seat and carried her our of the hospital. Not before stopping in the hospital's area that DH and I call, "Ella's Garden." A small garden with memorial butterfly statues just outside of the labor and delivery floor. We took Nora out there, for her first breath of fresh air, and to tell her the story of her sister.
Friday, June 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










How scary! I'm so glad Nora is a-ok though, even with the minor hiccup of a brief NICU stay.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine the fear. But it has a beautiful ending! I'm so glad that you and Nora are doing so well!
ReplyDeleteWow how terrifying!! I'm just so happy that you brought her home and she's doing well!!
ReplyDeleteThat must have been a scary experience! So so glad everything is ok and she is home now.
ReplyDeleteOh...I just got goosebumps and tears over the picture of you telling Nora the story of her sister...how bittersweet those words must have been...missing her precious sister but so thankful for the miracle of Nora.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure those days were terrifying, and so glad you shared. Just makes us love that sweet little Nora more and more!!!
How scary that must of been. I oould feel panic in my own chest reading this. The last sentence made me cry. How beautiful is that.
ReplyDeleteI had a friend whose 34-weeker had apnea and desats for about 6 weeks, so they were in the NICU the whole time. Their baby is over a year now, and doing great - Nora will be the same way! :)
ReplyDeleteI am SO glad to hear that everything is ok with Nora. I love that you brought her to Ella's Garden to tell her about her sister....it brought tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine the terror in your hearts, and I'm so thankful baby Nora got well and came home with you! What a special remembrance that you took her to Ella's garden and explained to her about her sister.I am so happy you have a baby in your arms. Remembering Ella, too....
ReplyDeleteshe's beautifully perfect and I am so glad that you have her with you, at home, being loved as much as one can possibly be loved...I love how Ella was a big part of your day..((hugs))
ReplyDeleteNora is so beautiful Bree and I'm so glad and so thankful that she is safe at home with you now. :) I hope Nora liked hearing about her sister! She's pretty amazing. XOXO
ReplyDeleteSo glad that Miss Nora is home safely. It was so sweet to hear that you were able to go have your moment with Ella too.
ReplyDeleteHow scary that moment was for you! I am so glad that you got encouragement from the nurse to nurse her! How wonderful is the feeling of coming home with your baby! I bet she loved hearing about her wonderful sister! Hope Nora meets Brooklyn sometime!
ReplyDeleteOh Bree, I had no idea! That is so scary, but I feel like someone should've been able to tell you right off that she was probably just not coordinating her s-s-b pattern (but this is from the Speech Pathologist who is obsessed with swallowing issues!). Still, I wish they could've assured you better immediately!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you had the sweet nurse who encouraged you to breast feed again, I can not imagine how scared you were!
I'm extra excited you have her home and are enjoying her! We need to see some more pictures of her!!
Bree,
ReplyDeleteMy eyes are tearing. I am so happy for you. I can imagine how scared you were. I would have wanted someone with my little boy for every minute we were allowed there. I am glad you are all doing well.
Just catching up now - what a beautiful baby (feet) and her story just had my heart pounding - I'm so glad that she is doing great now and I can't imagine how having her in the NICU must have felt like after all you and your hubby have been through. I am so happy for you and I know Ella is smiling down on her little sister and will be with you all as you experience her growing up.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh how scary that she turned purple!!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Bree - so excited to read that you had your rainbow baby safe and sound! Wonderful! I hope the breastfeeding is going better for you than it is for me! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI just now read part 2...How scary Bree....WOW...SOOOO glad she got to come home with you and is keeping you up all night, this sounded so scary to go through and I can imagine you going "there" again......what a blessing...xoxo
ReplyDelete