Thursday, July 16, 2009

Walking With You - Naming Our Babies

Thanks, Emily for introducing me to Walking With You.



Walking With You was created to help support those who have lost a child. Together we share our stories, helpful information, scriptures, encouraging words, prayer requests, and more. Thank you to those of you who have joined us for the past few weeks...for courageously sharing your stories. If you haven't joined us yet, and would like to, you are more than welcome.

This week, we are sharing how we chose the names for our babies and any special meaning behind them.

When we started trying to get pregnant, my husband bought me a baby name book. It was fun scannning through the book and choosing names for our future children. We knew that with our last name being twelve letters, the first name had to be short and easy to pronounce. Right away, Evan and Ella were put at the top of our list. I loved the name Ella because it meant "one who travels." I loved the idea of my daughter getting to travel and see the world. I'd hope we'd have many adventures together. Even though, Ella was our top pick, we had other names on our list too. We liked Serena, Amelia, Nora, Erin, and Clare. We were still exploring names when I went into preterm labor. The week I was on bedrest, I declared that her name was Ella. Our nickname for her is Ella Bella. When she was born, I did hesitate for a second when the nurse asked us for her name. I loved the name Ella so much and hated the idea of never getting to use it again. But, she was Ella, it just suited her.

10 comments:

  1. Ah!!! I love the story about names... I actually blogged about ours as well... http://momentsofpause.blogspot.com/2009/01/whats-in-name.html
    I remember hesitating with my husband- telling him we could change the name but he knew it was perfect and suited him as well!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful story, thank you for sharing how Ella got her name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that we will blog on the same topic. I do not have the blog circle you do, but I will definitely blog about how we named our child.

    I cannot think of your baby having any name other than Ella.

    I will blog about Akul's name at

    www.aajaakul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to retype my blog address for baby names

    http://aajaakul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just imagine the places she's traveling now. :) Did you catch my reference to Ella in my Very Best Day? I was thinking of you and Ella when I plugged that in there. And I was out at a nature preserve yesterday, trying to get a good butterfly picture. What do you got to do to get those darn things to stand still and say "cheese!"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for joining us on this week's Walking With You...and for sharing how you named your sweet Ella. What a beautiful name.

    Praying God's continued comfort for you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story...I love the meaning of Ella's name. I think I am going to write about this post too. Hugs! I hope your u/s goes well. Thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I have a boy Evan will be his name. It means God is gracious. I absolutely love the meaning of Ella' name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww Ella's name is perfect!! Thank you for sharing the story with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ella.... so beautiful. I can just see her traveling on the streets of heaven. So sweet.

    Much Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete