Sunday, January 24, 2010

4am Bullet Points

I write here to preserve the few precious memories I have of my daughter. I also write here to quiet my mind; to stop the thoughts that race and perseverate in my head. I write here because there are so many things that I am not brave enough to say out loud in my real life.

1. Yes, it's been 10 months since she died. And, yes I am pregnant again. But, I am still in the thick of the grief process. I still have crying fits, still want to punch walls, still want to make every conversation about her. She is on the forefront of my mind no matter what I am doing. I'd still give anything to have her back.

2. I've been insecure for as long as I can remember. I've always felt less than everyone else. Growing up I had anxiety (still do) and struggled with eating disorders. Seeing my body fail me, watching my perfectly healthy child die as a result, and feeling unable to produce a living child exacerbate and validate those feelings.

3. Just because I am pregnant again doesn't mean I'm okay with seeing/hearing about babies. I'm still very uncomfortable in social situations. I'm still not okay with hearing my friends talk about their babies or share the trials of motherhood.It hurts. I'm a mother, but I can't relate. I would give anything to be in their shoes. I don't really have very many friends. I know saying this out loud probably alienates the few I have left. But, it's truth.

4. I still can't look at baby stuff. While at 20 weeks, most people can start planning on bringing their babies home, I'm not there yet. I purchased two beautiful hair bows after finding out this baby is a girl. I made that purchase, 1. because I wanted to have one moment where I felt normal. One moment where I made a purchase and didn't worry about whether an actual baby would wear them or not. 2. because I wanted to have something I purchased special for this child. I still have all of Ella's things out and hanging in my closet and I wanted to have something to remember this pregnancy/baby by, just in case.

5. I don't like it when people ignore my feelings and tell me that I need to be positive. I don't think vocalizing my fears will kill this baby (my shitty cervix and my body's tendency to go into PTL will). But, I also don't like it when people say things like, "if this baby lives," "if you have another daughter." It is okay for me to say things like this, but I need others to be positive for me. Does that make sense?

6. Sometimes I think about what it will be like if this baby dies. I wonder if I'll put her ashes into Ella's urn or if I'll have to purchase a new one. My husband says this is it. If this does not work out, we're done trying to have babies. I am so scared that losing this baby would mean the end of my dream of becoming a mother. Yes, there's adoption. But, that can take forever and doesn't always work out either.

7. I posted this picture of Ella on my facebook (and, I'm posting it here again because I freaking love it). 99% of the people who commented on it were baby lost mamas. My feelings were really hurt. I hate facebook.

31 comments:

  1. (wishing my arms would stretch to CA!!!!)

    Bree, please give yourself a big hug from me. And, before you get too pissed at other people, try to put yourselves in their shoes. People who haven't walked this journey *will never understand*, and I think they're just trying to avoid laying out an emotional landmine for you to step in. They don't have a grasp on what would be something supportive to say. And we seem to be charged for someone to say the wrong thing. This past week someone who I thought understood my situation dropped a bomb on me and compared her 12-week m/c to Leila, and I nearly bit my tongue in two to keep from cutting her apart with it. I just kept saying in my head "she doesn't get it. She CAN'T get it, because even if her circumstances were identical, she isn't me and she doesn't have my mindset, my experiences to pull from, when it comes to dealing with MY loss." And you're extra fragile, being pregnant. People are just trying to spare you.

    I love that your bought something for Ella's sister. 4 days before I went into PTL, I was thisclose to buying a pink furry blanket at Target for Leila, but didn't. Now I kick myself over and over for not doing it - at least I would have had that to hold and cry into. I didn't buy anything new for her, and I regret that.

    I love you, sweet girl. Your name is the first that I lift up to God every night - we're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I only have a few friends that will post on something I say about Lily on fb...normally, its just other dbms...its not just fb, the 99% of the world ignores our babies...

    You have every right to be anxious during this pregnancy and it used to piss me off too when people would say "just think positive" and I'm thinking "hello, my uterus could explode at any point here!" but they mean well, people just don't know what to say...

    I think of you and jellybean everyday and I think positively for you, even if you can't just yet...we're inching our way to March 26th (ugh, I'll be 32!) and we'll all take a collective sigh of relief with you!

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tight big *hugs*. The journey through the death of your child is heart wrenching, the journey through a sub-pregnancy is incredibly difficult. Unless someone has been in your shoes they will NEVER understand. You do what you need to do to get through this, you don't owe anyone any explanations. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bree I try not to post true feelings of greif on facebook because they don't get it. Unless they are dbp, they have no clue. People choose to remain silent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right - facebook can suck! When I post something about my babies the only people that comment are other dbms.

    I wish I could see you right now to give you a big hug and rock you - just like my grandma used to do with me when I had fears. The fear can consume you and make you think only negative thoughts. But, hope abounds my friend. WE (blogverse) all have hope for you! We are not going to say that it is going to be easy,but go with your feelings -if you want to feel sorry for yourself - do it, if you want to scream - do it, if you want to bawl - do it! We will all support you in the process. We have hope that everything will turn out right. If we don't have hope, what else do we have?
    Thinking of and sending you hugs all the way from Sunrise, Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Bree, I know what you mean now with the being pregnant again, even though I am not that far along I am scared shitless and NOT ready to look at baby stuff. Especially because in one week ... it will be one year since we had the boys and it does NOT hurt any less.

    I too wish I could come out there and just sit and talk with you, cry with you and laugh with you. I would in a heartbeat! But I am here for you always!!!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bree...I love how honest you are! I wish I could be this honest...sometimes I just hide.
    I have had the same exact thoughts about this baby's ashes...would they fit in Luke's urn? I hate that.
    I have always had a great feeling about this pregnancy (yours) and Nora. You just grieve like you need to....we will all be here for you and think positive thoughts!!! xoxoxo hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get it Bree...and I think it is normal for us to have these feelings. I am glad you are writing them here, I hope it helps to relieve your mind of the words and you are able to relax a little more. Take it easy and keep me posted on your progress!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a wonderfully honest post. I recognize #5. It's irritating when other dismiss our feelings and have the gall to tell us how to feel. And I know what you mean about the being positive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about posting on FB or even throwing out true feelings with people who are not part of our immediate family. While our immediate family has not experienced this kind of loss, we are so fortunate that they have never had the 'just get over already' attitude that the rest of the world seems to have. But the rest of the world around us is the same as the rest of the world around most members of this club - they just can't understand, and that usually results in them saying something stupid or insensitive because they don't know any better. I expect it... that way when I get it, it doesn't bother me as much, and if I get something different I can be pleasantly surprised. I love Ella's collage! Jess did a great job with it. I hope to be posting Gracie's some time this week! Hugs to you....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate that ppl ignore that Grace was even a baby. IT's been a week since we lost her and everyone is trying to "distract" us and wants us to move on. No one comments on her things on fb either. I LOVE ellas collage! it's beautiful! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bree,
    Honesty is wonderful and feels good, and I also feel my mind is cleared when I blog, even if nobody reads it...it gets it out of my head!

    Facebook sucks. I deleted mine after Ella. I just now have gotten back on...under an alias! Holly Upfield is my name...LOL.

    As for the baby stuff, I get ya. I am so not okay with hearing about babies, or buying stuff. Don't plan on buying much either until a baby is home in my arms.

    Just know we are thinking positively for you, all of us out there are! And we know you do the same for us :)

    Big Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just can't tell you how much of this could be my own words, Bree, and how much I feel for you. I just have such hopes for you and your family, and please know that we all hold Ella in our hearts with you. HUGS today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *big hugs* i just saw my cousin who lost her baby last april today. it was kinda hard to talk about baby stuff. she due again in may. so im kinda at a lost on what is ok to talk about when it comes to loss of a child? plus your daughter is very pretty in every way and dont let any one tell you other wise! i wish i had magic words for women like you and my cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bree, I want to reach through this computer right now and HUG you! It totally makes sense that others need to be strong for you. I feel the same way. I think about you often and wish I had the right words to help. I am sending you so much LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hang in there mama! I was soooo you! I got pregnant again 6 months after losing Andrew and I get everything you said! All of it and then some! I know what you mean about friends and pregnancies and stuff- ANYONE who was pregnant I felt a tinge of jealousy- even when I didn't want to be pregnant- that made no sense- but feelings are feelings and it isn't like you can control them. This baby girl will make it and you'll be able to put those beautiful bows in her hair! (I didn't buy things for ANY of my other babes (and I had three more after my loss) so I totally get that whole thing too- I used the word 'if' for myself but wouldn't dream of it for anyone else- Your baby WILL be here I know it- I feel it and I'm praying for it... and as for that pic on fb? I don't get why people would knock it- I think it looks great! (we need to friend each other! ;-)
    Take a deep breath- all those people running around this world were at one time the size of that little peanut you're carrying and they all made it!
    Huge hugs-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  17. facebook sucks... why do we bother?

    i love that you bought something special for baby number 2. something for just her. i think it's WONDERFUL both for her to have ella's things, and some of her own. BOTH equally wonderful as they are both equally your children.

    and i totally hear you on number 5 about being positive. i would be horrifed if someone else said "if this baby lives" and yet, i'll say it myself ALL the time. it makes perfect sense and people should understand. i know most people probably wont, but they should honor it even if they dont understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok me again! Look for me on FB Laura Drapal Doran
    I tried to get yours and I saw you but it wouldn't let me add you as a friend... I don't know why- hmmm... You should be able to find me though- my profile pic is similar to my pic on here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get the same dumb and weird comments from people. I try to take what helps and throw the rest out, they don't usually get it and I hope they never do. They'll never have the strength that we've acquired from this journey. I'm so thankful for my other DBMs. I'm so thankful that you share your whole self here on the blog. I feel the same way that I can say things I never have the courage to say in real life on the blog and it feels so good. I get the same lack of support from my friends who are not DBM's on facebook. But I take what I can get.

    Prayers up for your sweet baby girl jellybean, strength and health for your body and sending big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for expressing such honesty. Everything you say makes perfect sense.

    And I am believing everything is going to be fine for this baby. I am sending every thought and prayer I have your way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bree, First, before I forget...find me on facebook please! (Kelli Duran) And secondly, this post made me so sad for you. Number 4 just broke my heart. I hate that you have to worry about if this pregnancy will go full term. I wish I could fast forward time for you to have your beautiful little rainbow baby in your arms and know that she is safe and healthy. Love and hugs...and more hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sending you a big huge hug, Bree, and all the hope in the world. I keep looking forward to seeing you post photos of your sweet baby #2 on your blog. I really believe it's going to happen for you, but I completely understand all the fears and reservations!! I haven't looked at baby things yet during this pregnancy either. I'm still working up the courage to go out and get something for him, just like I did for Jayden and Eliana when we found out their gender. I am praying for you, and I hope that with each week that goes by it gets easier to dream, as you see yourself one step closer to holding your wiggly little wonder in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  23. your little ella looks so perfect and peaceful. its so so unfair.
    i lost twin girls at 20 weeks just over three months ago and your post really resonated with me. i really relate to a lot of what you say here. i can't even imagine being pregnant right now, i would be terrified. on the other hand, i can't wait to have another chance. im glad i found your blog and i look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bree, I relate so much to this post because until they have stood a day in our shoes do not try to understand how we are feeling. Pregnancy will never be the same.

    I think because FB sucks I never posted anything about Jonathan. Things slowly trickle down and if people ask I tell them, but you are right...if we post anything about our babies it is only fellow dbms who will understand. Mike just gave up a trip to San Diego and its times like this where I wish he would go and I would go visit him just so I could hug you. We had him give it up on the hopes we may end up pregnant.

    I also know how you are feeling about this being it. Mike says the same thing. We are trying for number three and if we loose a third baby that is it for natural conception. So many children need homes through adoption, but its different then having your own biological baby.

    Bree, thinking of you always and know I am always sending you virtual hugs. If you want to call and just talk sometime, send me a facebook message and I'll send you my phone number. *huge hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. HUGS TO YOU! I totally agree with you about FB, I posted somethings about Cadynce, pics, our tattoos, things I have gotten in rememberance of her and only a very few folks (family and my best friend) said anything. For the most part when we lost her, no one even said they were sorry and that hurt so much.

    Thinking about you and your rainbow often.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  26. Huge (((hugs))) Bree!!! I am so proud of you for buying the bows. I am there too. I am almost 22 weeks and haven't bought a single thing. You have inspired me to buy *something* and have a bit of normalcy, even if it's short-lived.

    All of you bullets made perfect sense and wish none of us knew about the pain and difficulty that comes with losing a child. I also LOVE the collage, Jessica did a beautiful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))) We are in this together, please I mean it email me call me whatever we will have beautiful little girls coming into this world about the same time. I haven't bought anything I know what you mean there. FB sucks, that is why I have a blog that hopefully no IRL people will find, so I can vent my frustrations fears, etc!

    Nicolle

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Bree, there is a big hug attached to this comment! I'm so sorry you're going through this, and I'm sorry about the infection situation too. I know there's nothing I can do, but I am here for you. I'm anxious with you.

    I think it's great that you bought something for this baby. I did the same thing with Eleanor for the same reason - if anything went wrong, I wanted something that was HERS especially. I also used to imagine what it would be like if she died - right up until I went to the hospital. I had the plans all made. It's awful, isn't it?

    I'm thinking of both of your sweet girls tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm being (un)fashionably late here...
    I'm sorry you didn't get more non-BLMs to comment on Ella's collage. How could they not? She's beautiful!! Still praying for you and your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tend to agree with others here... sadly, people who have not experienced such a loss, have absolutely no clue how to respond to such a beautiful collage on pictures of our lost babies. I don't understand it, but that is just how it is. I am so grateful that I have you wonderful BLMs to share Henry with. I don't know what I would do without you!

    ReplyDelete