When I got to the hospital, my cervix was still measuring in the high 3's, but the monitors showed that I was clearly contracting and that Nora's heartbeat was decelerating a bit. I was given my first dose of terbutaline and told that I'd be clear to go home after the effects of it wore off. My uterus felt as calm as it ever felt (of course, the rest of me was shaking), but after about 40 minutes things picked back up again. Thankfully, the doctors decided to check my cervix one more time. In less than an hour, my cervix had completely funnelled to the stitch and was measuring about 2cm. At that point, the plan was to admit me and start indocin and a course of steroids (ouch-ouch-ouch). Before I could have the steroids, I had to take the gestational diabetes test. I had actually been looking forward to this milestone. But, this wasn't the way I wanted to meet it. Based on the way I'd been feeling this past month, I wasn't surprised when I failed the test. So, in addition to continuous toco and fetal monitoring (which I loved), I was pricked after each meal (which i hated). When I saw my perinatologist on Sunday, he told me that no matter what they'd hold me in the hospital until 28 weeks.
I definitely had my ups and downs this week. We were visited by the NICU team twice. They stayed with us almost an hour the first visit and tried to map out the entire process for us. DH and I started reading What to do When Your Baby is Premature as soon as we could get our hands on a copy (thanks, Jen). I also had a couple of points of just deep depression. I got a little lonely in there, but at the same time started to feel batty when people were rushing in and out of my room every five minutes (thankfully, i discovered the do not disturb sign on day 3). I also struggled with the fact that I didn't have access to the foods I wanted whenever I wanted. Which got a little better when they placed a fridge in my room. I looked forward to little things like a hot shower everyday and hearing Nora's heartbeat for an entire hour, three times a day. I'd always turn off the tv and not take any phone calls during that time. I even tried to make a video of it.
I was expecting to be in the hospital until Friday. So, I was a bit shocked when the doctor came in and told me they were going to try to release me yesterday. I had a speculum exam (ouch- is it just me or do those hurt more the further along you are?) and was told that there wasn't any tension on my stitch and that they couldn't see my bag of water. Therefore, there wasn't really anything else to do. I was being sent home. I thought I'd throw and fit and refuse to go home. But, by that time I was actually ready to come home.
It's nice to be home with my own things. My cat makes the perfect bedrest buddy. And, when DH brings me food, the dog appears out of nowhere for a visit. My immediate goal is 30 weeks. I know in my heart I'm going to have her soon. There are times when I cannot even walk because I feel so much pressure. It's saddening to me to know that she won't be inside me much longer. I'd share my space with her forever if I could. Especially if it meant that she'd live. I'm not even counting days, I'm telling myself if I can make it to my next doctor's appt (Tuesday) without cancelling, then I'll be happy (even though I have to complete the 3 hour GD test, then). Today I purchased a few nursing items online. I still have yet to allow myself to make any purchases for Nora (other than a few outfits here and there). I figure even when/if she comes early, she still won't need anything until June anyway, so we have time. It would just be nice to be able to plan and nest like a normal person.
So, if you made it through this entire post, you'll be rewarded with some pictures. I never thought I'd be posting this scary picture of myself. I think all of my weight gain has gone to my face. But, I think they will be fun to look back at and show Nora someday. She is so loved and so wanted and we are willing to do anything to ensure she arrives safely.


This is the hat I feverently knitted this week. I started freaking out that everything I've knitted thus far would be too big. Hopefully, she won't fit in this one either.

My bedrest buddy. Good to be home!










Thinking of you Bree! How far along are you now?
ReplyDeleteBree you look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteNora... stay put! Don't you know it's winter?! Granted not freezing like it is way up here however June is warmer and my birthday is in June so I am partial to it and think you should wait it out a bit longer, okay?
Hugs to you both!!
xo
PS... Claire's butterfly arrived in the mail today and I loooove it! I will be laminating it this evening to add to her keepsake box of treasures.
You look great! Glad that you are home with your bed rest buddy. I hope that Nora stays put for good long while. Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking of you so much! xo
ReplyDeleteI feel like I've been talking to you all week! Well, I have! :) I'm glad you are home with your own things and I love your little bedrest buddy. What a sweetie! Come on 30 weeks! Fingers crossed for you & nothing but good vibes!
ReplyDeleteI've been following along. and thinking and praying for you and Nora
ReplyDeleteYes- exams do get more painful as pregnancy goes along.. it's not just you!
Glad you have your cat as your bedrest buddy- aren't cats wonderful!
You look adorable! I'm hoping and praying for you daily, and hoping little Nora stays safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're home snuggled in with your kitty. And I think you look great! You're in my thoughts and I hope Nora snuggles in, too!
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing during my NST...I asked the nurse to turn the volume up on the TOCO...I turned the t.v. off and just listened to the sweet sound of Coop's heartbeat...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you're home and you know that we're all pulling for you and praying for Nora!
I am so gald you home again. You look great!!! You glow.. Keep cooking nuestra amiguita Nora. Hugs and thinking of you, Lizy
ReplyDeletePraying for you and baby Nora! XOXO Are you 29 weeks now?
ReplyDeleteYou look great! I am glad being at home isn't being more stressful for you :) I love your bedrest buddy, I miss my doggies so bad!
ReplyDeleteummmm - I just have to say - the speculums definitely hurt so bad when I am pregnant! I asked for pain meds the other day when getting swabbed to see if I ruptured ( FYI: I guess it was just me peeing myself :p)
Oh, you and Miss Nora are absolutely TOO . DARNED . CUTE!!! Scary nothing! That picture is precious and Nora will love it one day!
ReplyDeleteGlad you are able to enjoy the comforts of home--praying for you both as you both hang in there! xoxo
Welcome home! What a relief that Nora is staying put for the time being (stay in there a bit longer baby girl!).
ReplyDeleteCats are wonderful bedrest buddies :)
You look beautiful! I love your kitty - she's trying to make sure you and Nora are all right.
ReplyDeleteI am still praying for all of you. I pray Nora stays safely in you for 83 more days!
Blessings, Sarita
You can do this! I'll keep you in my thoughts :)
ReplyDeleteI am still praying that baby Nora stays put for a little bit longer. I could only imagine how hard it is for you, I am sorry! Just be positive and know that we (bloggers) are here for you.
ReplyDeleteP.S You look absolutely adorable!!
Bree you look wonderful!! I'm glad you're home with all of your things. Your cat is so cute! Keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteYou look beautiful. I will be saying prayers that you make it to your goal of 30 weeks and beyond!! I had my son at 28 weeks after many weeks of bedrest, I know how being on bedrest in the hospital can drive you crazy!
ReplyDeleteLoving the pic of you. The hat you knitted is so adorable. Thinking of you & Nora.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby. God Bless! *hugs*
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are home in your own space! And that hat is absolutely adorable. Continuing to think of you!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and Nora! Sending prayers your way.
ReplyDeleteJust found your page. You are an inspiration to me now!! Our stories are very similar, I lost my daughter Miah due to incompetent cervix on Aug. 1st 2009, she was about 19 weeks, and now I'm pregnant with baby number two. I'm about 13 weeks and getting my cerclage in the next couple weeks!
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing, strong, and beautiful woman! I'm praying for you and Nora.
Much love, peace, and blessings!
-Jamie
Hang in there hun! Prayers coming your way!! :)
ReplyDeleteYou have had quite a experience, hopefully it is over for a while and I am wishing many calm and peaceful days - hopefully a few months of them!
ReplyDeleteIm so glad you are home and I will pray sweet baby girl stays in there for lots longer :) Oh and yes, the exams have been hurting ever since the cerclage...the docs say that we are way more sensitive b/c of the stitch...worth it though, right? Now stay still for 6 weeks with your bedrest buddy! Love, Nan xxxooo
ReplyDeleteBree,
ReplyDeleteLove the hat, love the cat, love the picture (of you, love everything (Best Friend's Wedding). I echo everyone in saying that is a great picture of a hopeful, loving mom. I am praying that your little one stays put and only ventures out when it is safe to do so. Lots of love, Lynn from Atlanta
Bree, I am and will continue to pray for you and for Nora's safe arrival. *HUGS*
ReplyDeleteHope you are doing well Bree! Hang in there. I understand what you are going through. I had a cerclage and was having contractions as well. We made it to 37wks and I have a healthy baby boy now!
ReplyDeletepraying for you everyday Bree!!
ReplyDeleteThinking about you. *hugs* Praying Nora stays put. :)
ReplyDeleteBree, I only just saw this post...how did I miss it?! Lucky I have facebook to keep me updated :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pic...but that bed doesn't look very comfy!
So happy that you and Nora are home safely now...praying for no more visits for a few more weeks yet xo
so glad to hear your doing well and so is baby Nora. And I love my Nathan butterfly! Thank you for thinking of him it made my day :)
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear that Nora is staying put for now and that you are home (with your snugglekitty).
ReplyDeletexxoo, Tiffany
How on earth did I miss this post? Today, I was thinking of you and decided to check in and I'm so glad that I did.
ReplyDeleteWhew, so, so happy you are doing well and am sending you love. Love and little pats to Nora :)
Take care of you sweet friend. By the way, I hope when my turn comes around I look as gorgeous as you! Be well my friend.
HUGS
Andrea
I just came across your page. I'm so happy you are expecting another baby this summer! Ella is such a beautiful name! I lost my baby on March 16 of this year. Almost a year to the day after you lost baby Ella. I'm so sorry for your loss...Feel free to read my blog.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that Nora is still in there and growing! Hoping she stays in there as long as possible!
ReplyDelete