Went to see my OB today to talk about the fact that it's been 34 days since I've had a period. No, I am not pregnant. :( According to my Clearblue Easy Fertility monitor, I ovulated on day 14. My doctor seems to think this was a mistake on the monitor's part. She said there's no way I ovulated because if I did, I'd either be pregnant or have had a period. There was also some blood work done midcycle which leads her to believe I didn't ovulate. We talked about the fact that my cycles have always been irregular. At first she was thinking that I just needed progesterone, but after talking with me, suggested Clomid, followed by estrace. She actually said, she preferred that I wait a couple of months to see if I get pregnant on my own, but that if I felt desperate, I could do a low does of Clomid- 50 mg. Hello! I AM desperate. Of course, I want Clomid! A teary eyed me explained to her that hope for a second baby is all that I'm living for right now.
Here's the plan. She doesn't want to prescribe anything to bring on a period. She suggests I wait two weeks to see if it comes on its own. If it doesn't, then we'll have to change the plan. After getting my period, I can start Clomid on day 3. I will go in for an ultrasound on day 13 of my cycle. We talked about the risks of multiples with Clomid. Remember, it's too risky for a girl with a bum cervix and history of preterm labor to carry more than one baby at a time. That is why she wants to do the ultrasound to make sure only one follicle is present before proceeding with timed intercourse.
I'd love input from any of you that have used Clomid.
On a totally different note, my blog buddy Lea took this picture for Ella today.I love knowing that others are thinking of my sweet baby. Thanks for making me smile today, Lea!

A couple of days ago, I received a message from a fellow blogger who found me through a comment I made on Stellan's blog. Sami who has her own photography company, offerred to try to get a good picture of a butterfly for me. A couple of days later, this exquisite picture was in my mailbox. I told Sami that I was so impressed, butterflies never cross my path. She replied that this has never happened to her before either. So cool! The love and support I continue to receive through my blog amazes me. There are people online who have done more for me than people in my real life. Sami, thanks for showing me that Ella's spirit is everywhere!










After losing a baby girl to Turner Syndrome, my husband and I tried for a year to conceive to no avail. For me, it was unusual because I get pregnant rather easily (I have a history of pregnancy loss due to APS). On suggestion from my doctor, we did one round of 50mg Clomid and ended up with twins. My babies were born at thirty seven weeks by caesarean section, my son died at six days old due to complications from open heart surgery. Now that you know someone who did Clomid and got twins, maybe you should talk to your doc about a cerclage and bedrest WHEN you get pregnant...wishing tons of babydust your way. Hugs
ReplyDeleteI guess I don't know how long you've been trying or if there is anything else besides anovulation to give you an infertility diagnosis. Have you had testing done? Clomid can be a dangerous drug. I'm so glad you will have the monitoring, but please be careful. After losing one baby and trying to hold onto another and seeing the complications of multiple gestation pregnancies, I worry about it...especially since timed intercourse can occur in desperation even with several follies. My biggest concern is that clomid can only be taken so many months before it is too much on the body. If you have not had a semen analysis, HSG, and hormonal tests done...you could be wasting your time and money and energy on clomid and have other issues. This was the case with me. My OB gave us clomid because I had been trying for a year and wasn't successful. It was AFTER that, that I was tested and we found I have a blocked tube. Even if clomid made me ovulate, if it was coming from my left ovary we had no chance of getting pregnant at all. So I was on clomid for no reason and wasting my opportunity to use it properly. We also found that my husband has slight morphology issues and so IUI was the best option for us. If you have any questions about anything, let me know, I'd be happy to help out. I understand the feeling of NEEDING to be pregnant. I was so desperate to get pregnant with Gregory and losing him made me soooo much more desperate to get pregnant again. I get it, I just want things to work out the best for you. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI've never dealt with infertility or taken Clomid, so I can't really help you there...sorry. :( I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you, and I certainly understand your sense of desperation! I was there too.
ReplyDeleteUgh. I HATED taking Clomid. I put on 30lbs in 3 months, stuffing anything protein down my maw in a despeerate attempt to give myself some energy. And then they'd give me that giant needle in the keister... (shudder!).
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, Bree. We're hoping to get pregnant again soon. Leila was a gift after 4 years of unsuccessful TTC (no, she wasn't a result of the Clomid, either). Losing her was like adding injury to insult. We've been working on it since the lochia stopped, OB's advice be damned. I believe that God will gift us again. And I'll pray for you guys to get those two pink lines, too. Lots of hugs! :)
I say go the Clomid, but I'm also mindful of what Gregory's mum said above...
ReplyDeleteWe're in a similar place, me just a little ahead. We had no problem conceiving Ciaran, but now it just doesn't seem to be working. My charts indicate that I am ovulating, that our timing should be just right most of the time, but it just ain't happening. The doc wanted to send us straight to IVF (because of my age - 38), but I can't get my head around that just yet.
So, today for me is day 1 of Clomid (CD4) - 50mg a day for five days. As well as that though I am having a tubal flush on Fri - just in case it's as was said above and I have a blocked tube. Apparently it's quite normal after a pregnancy to have a blockage or partial blockage with mucus or something like that.
And if this doesn't work then next month I will probably advance myself to IUI (AIH). After that... I'm not even thinking that far.
Good luck - I'm blogging in two places now..
http://allthelittleponies.blogspot.com and http://thehoneycakemixup.blogspot.com
eek! im a little bit nervous now. I guess I have some more research to do. I knew my tubes weren't blocked before Ella because I had a tubal levage during a surgery I had to remove an ovarian cyst. I didn't think my tubes could get blocked as a result of pregnancy. This whole thing is nervewracking. So many factors play into getting a BFP. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't been trying that long but while we were waiting to try my cycles totally changed but then re-regulated themselves. I did get an ultrasound though because I was worried it might be a sign of something wrong but everything was clear- it was just stress messing with me. I can't really help you with the clomid decision though. Will your Dr run an ultrasound to check things out before giving you clomid?
ReplyDeleteVery neat pics!
ReplyDeleteConcerning the Clomid, I've been down that road. The worst side effect I had was hot flashes - so not THAT bad! And remember that even if you have multiple follicles "ready" your body may only release one...or only one could take. There are definitely ways around the bum cervix and preterm labor (just look at me these days!). All the luck in the world for this next cycle :-)
I love you pictures! The picture Lea made is beautiful! She is so thoughtful! And I love the picture of the butterfly...so very cool!!
ReplyDeleteOkay...infertility... I am so sorry you have faced with this frustration on top of the loss of Ella.
Here's my experience...clomid didn't work for us. I didn't even stimulate one follicle with clomid...we tried it for 3 months. It doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. Most women who have taken clomid will tell you all about the "clomid crazies." My husband, Tim would agree! Clomid made me CRAZY! I was a moody, crazy, hormonal, hot-flashing, mad woman. Now I guess not all women feel this way..but I have talked to many who do.
The limit to clomid is 3 months with a max dose of 150mg a day x 5 days. Generally speaking you will go back for an u/s day 12 and usually get your HCG injection which stimulates your egg. And having a couple follicles is okay...the odds of getting pregnant with multiples does increase, but not as much as you would imagine. From there you can proceed with timed intercourse or an IUI the next 2 days.
My advice...if at all possible go to a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) for a second opinion. I am not suggestion anything is wrong with an OB...but an RE will cover all of the bases and make sure clomid is the best route for you and your husband. The key is...why are you not ovulating? What is the underlying issue...then figure out the best treatment. I LOVE my RE and treating infertility is their job. Actually this time around we used Letrozole, which is similar to Clomid...but works well in woman who didn't respond to clomid...ME! And low and behold...I did produce a follie!
I know this sucks Bree...I am sorry! I too understanding wanting to be pregnant, NOW! I hope this doesn't scare you...it's overwhelming but do able. Remember, I am here for you anytime!! HUGS!!
I didn't take clomid because ovulation isn't my problem...mine is my faulty equipment.
ReplyDeleteI love both of the pics...the angel wings are adorable, and the butterfly pic is way cool.
Good luck with whatever decision you make about the clomid. I've heard some success stories with it, but I've also heard horror stories about the side effects. Why does trying to have a baby have to be such a hard thing for some of us?
What about the WHY? I say dig deeper and try to figure out why you are having problems. Try to fix the problem rather than taking clomid. Even if you take clomid and have a perfect easy baby, when you want another child you will have these same issues again later. Better to invest your time now into finding more answers.
ReplyDeleteI know - easier said than done. Nothing is worse than wanting a baby especially after losing Ella. But nothing will replace Ella - you will still miss her sweet face even with a new baby. I will just pray and pray that you end up prego soon and with no additional efforts. Greater miracles have happened!
I'm thinking of you and sending hugs...
Kathy
6 rounds of clomid here....no baby. :( if it doesn't work, don't be discouraged, know that your sister couldn't pull it off either...
ReplyDeleteHi Bree, I'm chiming in late, but wanted to throw in my $0.2 just in case you're still checking these comments:
ReplyDeleteI did several rounds of Clomid last year... my obgyn seemed to think that it wasn't a big deal. He said that 6 months is the max because if it doesn't work in 6 months, it's not gonna. My biggest side effect was hot flashes (hello, premenapausal!!) and a couple of rage flashes :) I had been warned about the moodiness, so I so pretty good at keeping in under control... just lost it one day at work when I saw my pregnant coworker smoking (grrrrr).
But yeah, about Clomid. If you trust & feel comfortable with your dr, I think you should just ask whatever questions you have, and if you feel good about the answers, just go for it.
Oh, and one more thing: I was told that Clomid has only ~5% multiple rate, unless multiples run in your family. Don't know how this stacks up against the rest of the data out there...
I wanted to start off thanking your for the sweet comment you left me on my blog. I also wanted to let you know that I am a beginning photographer although I have had a camera in my hand for about the last 5 years straight!... I will be on the look out for butterfly photo opts and let you know if I manage to get one (although I doubt it will be as fantastic as Sami's). I am so sorry for your loss. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you, and good luck TTC! Praying...
ReplyDelete