Thursday, August 13, 2009

Reborns

When I was pregnant with Ella, I remember watching this story on Dateline. It was a story about women who carry these $4,000 baby dolls around like their live babies. I remember chuckling a bit when I saw the story. But, I also remember thinking that these women must have been traumatized in some manner to dress these babies, strap them in carseats, push them in strollers... I felt sad for them. Well, fast foward a couple of months and here I am, I am one of those women. Seriously. These dolls were made for women like me. Like us. If I had huge sums of money, I would consider getting one. But, really, if I had huge sums of money, I'd rather spend it on fertility treatments, surrogacy, or adoption.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - that is interesting. Odd that all the women featured are much older women. Her pricing is not really suited to those who would want one due to baby loss. It's too bad. She should work out a program where women who have lost a baby could have one at an affordable rate. They are lifelike though - amazing.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is traumatic to lose a baby Bree. I never paid much attention to babies and never craved for one. But once I was pregnant with Akul, everything changed. I am crazily in love with my child and if I could I would protect him from anything and anyone. I agree with you. I'd rather spend money on fertility treatments or adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember watching that actually...it's amazing how life-like they really do look! I can see why some people would find comfort in such doll. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweetie - I had my days all mixed up - just wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you tomorrow, try and do something special for your angel Ella, maybe light a candle or buy some silk flowers for your balcony. Much love, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this as well thinking these women were crazy. Well, now (unfortunately) I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched that same program when I was pregnant with Jasper and I felt so bad for them that I was crying while watching. I would love to get one, I know crazy, but one that would look like Jasper. They are just way too much money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW they look so real! Thank you for commenting on my Triple D site. I just started it. I LOVE San Diego and am going to have to try that one out! Sounds good........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I have been seeing lots of baby bunnies / rabbits around my house lately. I mean, I live in the country but I have never seen more rabbits in my life, right next to our house, car, or pool. It's nice to see.

    ReplyDelete