Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sucky Cervix Turned Super Cervix (Hopefully)

Thank you so much for your supportive words yesterday. We arrived at the hospital at 6 am to find out the surgery was being pushed til' noon (which was later pushed again til' 1), so I enjoyed reading all of your comments. We were settled comfortably into a private birthing suite. While I blogged and channel surfed, my husband enjoyed a 3 hour nap, poor guy didn't go to bed the night before.

When we arrived at L&D, we were greeted by the nurse who assisted with Ella's delivery. The nurse who placed her in my arms and told me how beautiful she was. Since it was near shift change, another nurse shortly took over. I knew her too. I really enjoyed being around these women. They talked about Ella at length with me and expressed how joyful they were to see us again. I loved that they knew our story and understood that I was feeling ultra anxious (I had 2 ultrasounds and heard the hb on the Doppler 3 times- loved that). I really enjoyed the TLC and even teased that I wouldn't have minded staying there til' June.

When the OR finally opened up, my nurse literally sprinted me down before another Emergency C section popped up. The actual surgery part was quite possibly the worst experience of my life (however, I'd endure that everyday if it resulted in a baby). I even remarked that it was more difficult than delivering a dead baby. The anesthesiologist must have poked me six times before he realized I needed more numbing meds. The pain was excruciating and I was wailing. I dislike feeling numb very much. I hated my EPI with Ella and I hated this even more. Another comment I made was that I hate the numbness so much, I may attempt natural childbirth (should I be lucky enough to reach that point). Next, my legs were placed into these giant ropes suspended from the ceiling. It was quite humiliating. I'm so glad my husband declined my doctor's invite to come in the OR. I was awake the entire time and practically hyperventalating on the table. I loved that my OB came to assist the perinatologist with the surgery, but I was so glad when it was over.

It took a few more hours for the meds to wear off. After no food or drink for 18 hours, I was treated to a delicious hospital sandwich. Not quite the meal I had been dreaming of all day long. But, at that point I would have eaten cardboard.

Finally, at 7:30 pm I was sent home. Once again I was wheeled out of L&D listening to the cries of other babies being born. Wheeled out empty armed, a bit sad, but happy to at least have one in my belly. We were both so tired. The husband slept til' 2 today. I've been lying in bed trying to keep my fear and anxieties over every little twinge at bay.

I guess now we just wait with hope that this does the trick and this baby stays put until June.

**This entire post was typed out on my I.Pod. Hope there aren't too many mistakes. :)

34 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Bree, I'm so sorry the surgery was so awful! That sounds so intense! I hope and pray so much for you that this procedure will help bring this sweet second baby into your arms in June kicking and screaming. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Are you scheduled to go back to the hospital for anything further? Maybe the next time you leave, it will be with this new baby in your arms to take him/her home with you!!((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense is the perfect word for it, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree, I'm so glad you're resting at home and the surgery is over. Praying for you, sending you all good thoughts, and wishing I lived close enough to drop you off a few meals to make your life a little easier. Keep us all posted and know we're all cheering you and that baby on. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. well we will KNOW that going through it will be worth in when you get to bring home that baby. i am going to be following your journey and hope to be where you are soon!

    thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Bree, I am glad it is over for you and I PRAY that this does the magic needed to help you have a healthy baby.Hope you are not too sore today.I am sending love and positive thoughts!
    Blessings, Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  6. praying for that super cervix, bree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers are with you. Super cervix to the rescue. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Bree, this sounds HORRIBLE. I thought of you all day yesterday. I'm so sorry it was a bad experience.
    BUT super cervix is on the way to save the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying with you, hoping with you, dreaming with you.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my dear Bree, I too thought of you all day and it was so nice getting that email from you.

    I'm glad that your super cervix procedure went as well as it possibly could. Will continue to be here for you throughout your pregnancy, supporting you all the way my dear!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. yikes, does not sound like fun, but I must agree, as long it ends in a happy healthy baby, soo worth it! big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Bree! So sorry the surgery was such a rough experience. I am glad you are done with that part! I hope today finds you recovering well. Hugs!! And prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad everything went well even though the experience might not have been the greatest. Praying that your cervix stays closed, long, and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate to hear that it was such a horrible experience but I know that you would do it a million times over to have your baby in your arms. Thats what kept me going everyday during my pregnancy with Cooper~ knowing that I was going to lose my uterus at the end didn't matter as long as he was healthy and alive.

    You'll be in my prayers that your cervix will behave itself and your baby will arrive safe and sound in June...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to hear that things turned out okay... I was thinking about you guys so much.

    You must be exhausted, physically and emotionally. Rest up.... sending you strength.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds awful!! But just like you said, we're willing to go through anything if it results in a healthy baby, right? I am so glad the procedure went well, but sorry for all that you had to go through!

    I know I've said this before, but I'm sorry I've been such a bad blogger buddy. I really do read all of your posts, but it's just hard to find the time to comment sometimes. You are awesome though, and you are frequently on my mind. I love following this little baby's story! I can't wait for Ella to become a big sister!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad this procedure is over, it sounded so uncomfortable you poor thing! Just want to let you know you and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so brave for wanting to try a natural birth this next time. Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry you had to go through this awful procedure. You poor thing!

    I am so, so sorry for the loss of your darling Ella... and I am praying for a happy and healthy pregnancy for you now.

    Best wishes,

    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry this was such a horrible experiance, but as the other ladies have said, I am sure you would endure it again to have a chance at taking home this little one. Praying for you and your little one as always. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Following you to the finish line and sending you prayers along the way.

    Love and Hugs,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad you are doing well Bree! When they placed my emergency TVC last year I was completely under which was a good thing by the sound of it! When they removed my stitch after my waters broke they gave me NO pain meds whatsoever so I was almost screaming...no fun at all. Thinking of you xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad that part's all over for you, Bree - but I'm sorry it was so rough! Hopefully you're feeling better now? Keep us updated on how you're feeling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hugssssssss Bree. I so want to see you and look forward to it very much. You are so amazing. I am sure this baby will be full term and your super cervix will hold her/him till the baby is ready for this world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. thank you for your comment on my video. amazing that today is the first day you noticed it... because for NO particular reason, yesterday i purposely searched back to your old posts to find ella's sweet picture, which i had seen before, but wanted to see again. what a beautiful baby girl. we were having the same thoughts about each other, without even knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad the surgery is over and hopefully you can rest a little more easy with that stitch in place. It sounds awful - I'm so sorry you had to endure that. I understand hating that numb feeling too. I loved and hated my EPI all at once with Madelyn and I always hate getting my jaw numbed at the dentist.
    Anyway, I am thinking so many positive thoughts for you in this pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry for your loss of Ella. Praying for you that the cerclage works and in June you will hold your new little one. I can't imagine what courage it takes to endure so much. ((Hugs))

    -kc

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bree,
    I am so glad you are doing ok. I am so sorry you had a horrible experience, not what you needed I know. Going through IVF I am pretty used to being "exposed" alot (you walk in and pretty much open your legs LOL every time), so I can imagine when you aren't used to it its horrifying! Thank you for sharing your experience though, you are helping to let the rest of us know what can happen with these things. Praying you keep a super cervix and we are all rallying you forward! love, nan xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nan- I'm actually used to it. Between my lap surgery, clomid u/s, and frequent cervical checks. I just never had mine basically suspended in the air before. :)

    Thanks, everyone! For some reason blogger isn't emailing my comments to me. So, I'm just seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stay put baby!!! prayin' for ya!!! Can't wait to see pics of the babe come June!!!
    Huge Hugs friend!!!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. That sounds horrible! I hope everything works out, and that you have a sweet little baby in June! I'm not sure how I stumbled on your blog, but feel free to visit mine! Good luck!

    Em
    emiwantsababy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bree... can I have your email address? I would like to show you my christmas card... you've mentioned them a few times, but I think you'd REALLY like mine...

    also, the Jodi Picoult book... the one I talked about.. isn't out yet. Not til 2011. but she wrote back to me and told me that the baby does die. I'm so glad (sounds terrible!) it's great for stillbirth awareness to be brought about by someone high profile, without a non-ficitional child actually having to die. I'm perfectly ok with a fictional baby dying if it brings it to someones attention.

    the book your mom might have been thinking of is "handle with care" ? and a child dies in that book too, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm hoping that this is a super cerclage!!! I think it's wonderful you got such caring nurses who knew you. That really had to help. But gosh, I wish the procedure and numbing would've went a little better for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry that the cerclage was a bad experience! It's a huge milestone though and now you're one step closer to holding your rainbow in your arms. Just take it one day at a time. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is as uneventful as it can be!

    ReplyDelete